Debate Debacle & Police Reform

PENSEE #9

I watched the entire debate so you wouldn’t have to. It was a noble effort on my part.  I would have turned it off after 10 minutes. 

There’s so much good analysis available on the web that I don’t need pile on. I’m taking anti nausea medications, so I’ve avoided vomiting.  Rehashing it today could be harmful to my health. 

******************************************************************************


I'm not naive.  I know I can't change the world, but I'm trying to change my little part of that world.  So here's something I care about.

We need to reform policing in this country.  There have been small changes, like more body cams, since black teen Michael Brown was killed in Ferguson MO on August 9, 2014. But those changes are not of the size or type needed to address the problem.

It seems many blame police unions for the lack of accountability for police officers.  There's some validity to the argument.  The 14th Amendment to the Constitution requires "due process" when an employer applies a disciplinary program to an employee.

The 14th Amendment is broad and vague.  It may provide an opportunity to change some aspects of due process.  Making the due process simpler and more efficient would be of significant value in holding employees accountable for misconduct.

In addition to changes to due process, states should also examine laws restricting public access to disciplinary records.  Twenty-three (23) states, including Colorado, prohibit such access.  Public access to these records would shine a light on police misconduct, and increase public support for transparency in disciplinary matters.

These suggestions alone will not make a huge difference in policing, but one has to start somewhere.  Slogans and marches are great, but we need to address the structural problems in policing and make meaningful changes.  

If you have other thoughts on Police Reform, please leave me a comment below.

Now wasn't that a nice escape from dredging up that pitiful debate last night?

******************************************************************************************************

Don't forget.  I added a "SUBSCRIBE" button near the top of the page.  If you want email notifications when I put up a new post, subscribe.  Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE NY TIMES DROPS TRUMP'S TAX SCAMS.

The Trump Brain Trust Includes Eric Trump. Good.

No. No way. This has to be fake news. Sadly, it's not